Council issues rate notices in August each year. Litchfield Council's rating year commences 1 July and concludes 30 June.
Payments can be made either:
- 30 September 2020 – Full Payment or 1st instalment
- 30 November 2020 – 2nd instalment
- 28 February 2021 – 3rd and final instalment
Council charges interest on rates and charges not paid by the due date.
Please ensure you keep copies of your rate notices for tax purposes in a safe place as requests for copies will attract a fee of $20.00 for current financial year and $26.00 for prior financial years.
To contact Council regarding your rates:
|Contacts:||P 08 8983 0600|
F 08 8983 1165
|In Person:||7 Bees Creek Road, Freds Pass|
|By Post:||PO Box 446 Humpty Doo, NT, 0836|
|Office Hours||8.15am - 4.30pm Monday to Friday|
Closed public holidays
What is the Waste Management charge?
Litchfield Council charges a fixed single service charge for the management of the three waste transfer stations within the Municipality.
What are council rates used for?
Councils need to charge rates to raise revenue so they can provide services and infrastructure to their communities. Each year as part of the budget process, councils decide the rates and charges for the financial year. The level of rates that landowners must pay is at the sole discretion of their council.
- Rates are not reflective of the services used by any particular property but contribute to the whole community's use of council services just like the taxes paid to the Australian Government contribute to a range of government activities.
- Rates funds are used to maintain, improve and provide services and facilities for the Municipality.
- Rates are a tax that is usually based on the values of properties.
- Being a tax the rates paid may not relate directly to the services, infrastructure or facilities used by each ratepayer (eg not all ratepayers will use parks, a public library or cycle paths) and it is not possible for many services to be charged out on an individual basis (eg street lighting).
- However all residents and businesses in local government areas make use of local government services, infrastructure or facilities at some point in time regardless of where they live (eg driving on roads, using parking space, putting rubbish in a public bin, benefitting from street lighting).
How do I change my name on my rates notice?
You will need to complete the appropriate paperwork from the Land Titles Office and they will then inform Litchfield Council that a change of name has occurred.
Land Titles Office details:
Location: Nichols Place, Cnr Cavenagh & Bennett Streets, Darwin NT 0800
Postal Address: GPO Box 3021, Darwin NT 0801
Ph: 08 8999 6520
Fax: 08 8999 6239
Email: [email protected]
Council alters its land ownership records after receiving official notification from the Land Titles Office. Council can't accept change of ownership details from the new owner.
Ratepayers who are not in a position to settle their rate account in full or in two instalments due to hardship are encouraged to contact the Rates Officer on 08 8983 0600 or email [email protected] to arrange fortnightly or monthly payment by agreement with Council.
How can I get a copy of my rate notice?
Please contact Council on 08 8983 0600 or [email protected] to confirm your mailing address and ownership details. Once all details have been confirmed you are able to request a copy of your Rate Notice.
Rates Rebates under the NT Concession Scheme
Territory Families provides Litchfield Council with a list of ratepayers eligible for concessions at the time the charges are billed. Concessions are automatically applied to ratepayer's accounts.
If you become eligible part way through this billing period, your concession will not be applied. You can pay the rates in full to Council and obtain a reimbursement from Territory Families.
Postal Address: PO Box 37037
Winnellie NT 0821
Telephone: 1800 777 704
Palmerston Community Care Centre: Corner Temple Terrace and Roystonea Avenue
For more information visit NT Pension and Concession Schemes »
Conditionally rateable land is defined in section 142 of the Local Government Act. Gazetted notices by the Minister of Local Government regarding conditionally rateable land can be found at https://dlgcs.nt.gov.au/local-government-policy-and-legislation/conditionally-rateable-land