What is Recycling?
Recycling is the process of converting waste into reusable material. These materials then go on to become something useful for someone else. Recycling also helps make sure that there will be enough resources left for later generations. If these used products are disposed of in the right way, then the process of recycing has begun.
Recycling is a key component of modern waste reduction. By recycling, we can prevent millions of tonnes of material from entering landfill, and by repurposing waste materials rather than new materials, manufacturers can avoid the cost and environmental impacts of extracting, refining, transporting and processing raw materials.
Key Benefits of Recycling:
- Cuts down on the amount of waste going to landfill
- Protects the environment
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions
- Reduces energy usage, air pollution and water pollution
- Conservation of natural resources
Litchfield Council encourage all residents to recycle and offer recycling bins at all three Waste Transfer Stations.
Bins available are:
- Plastic containers
- Glass bottles
- Aluminium cans
Additional recycling options available:
- Scrap metals
- White goods
- Car batteries (Humpty Doo and Howard Springs only)
- Used oil (cooking and car, Humpty Doo and Howard Springs only)
- Concrete (charge may apply)
What is Green Waste?
Green waste includes grass, flower cuttings, palm fronds, leaf litter and tree branches. All Waste Transfer Stations have a drop off area for clean green waste; fees apply. This green waste is shredded to make mulch, which is available for purchase.
It is important to keep all green waste free of contaminating items to keep our mulch free of rubbish. Contaminates that have been found in the green waste are wood pallets, furniture, rubbish, plastic bags and steel.
|Per cubic meter||$10.00|
|Available at Humpty Doo and Howard Springs only between 8:30am and 12:00noon; 2pm and 5:30pm.|
Mulch is very beneficial for your garden. It . . .
- helps retain moisture in the soil
- cools the root zone of plants which lowers transpiration of moisture from the plant
- builds soil structure and adds nutrients
- aids micro-organisms that are beneficial to plants and soil
- introduces organic material into poor soils, and
- looks good!
Sort and Save
To save time at the Waste Transfer Station sort your recyclables at home. The Waste Transfer Stations are designed to help you dispose of rubbish easily. To make this even easier set up storage bins for each of the waste and recycling materials at home that can easily be transported, e.g. cardboard bin, plastic and glass bin, waste bin, compost bin.
Paper and cardboard:
- Cardboard boxes and packaging
- PIzza boxes
- Soft drink and juice bottles
- Glass bottles and jars - clean, lids removed
- Aluminium cans
- Plastic codes 1-7
- Plastic bags
- Aerosol cans
Plastic does not break down in landfills, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO RECYCLE PLASTIC.
- White goods
- Steel, aluminium and copper
Keep an eye out for any item displaying the image above - it can be recycled!