Be a part of the action
A Batonbearer will share the dream and carry with pride the spirit of the Games embracing the diversity and values of the Commonwealth.
They will inspire others with their passion and commitment to sport and community and be excited to represent and promote the Commonwealth Games.
Nomination & Selection Criteria
We are looking for people of all abilities to share the dream and become a Batonbearer for the GC2018 Queen’s Baton Relay. A Batonbearer is someone who meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Has achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary.
- Has made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or within their community.
- Has excelled, or aspires to excel athletically or personally.
- Who contributes to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community.
The minimum age of a Batonbearer is 10 years old as at 25 December 2017 (the start date of the Queen’s Baton Relay in Australia).
To nominate, explain in 100 words or less how the nominee (the person being nominated) meets one or more of the selection criteria and why they should have an opportunity to carry the Queen's Baton.
Nominees must be an Australian Citizen or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018).
Nominating someone to be a Queen's Baton Relay Batonbearer is easy. A few pre-prepared notes will help you before you start your nomination.
The nomination form requires you to complete:
- Your name, email address, contact number, suburb and postcode
- Your nominees’ name, , suburb and postcode (if known)
- You will also be asked to explain in 100 words or less how your nominee meets one or more of the selection criteria and why they should become a Batonbearer. This information will be considered by the judging panel in selecting the successful nominations.
You may also wish to tell the person you are nominating about your intention to nominate them. Nominations cannot be submitted anonymously and your nominee will be advised who nominated them.
It is important to note that a nominee can only accept one nomination. Selection is by judging panel based on merit and not on the number of nominations a person receives. Only one nomination per person will be judged. Please note, a nominee can choose to decline a nomination to participate in the Queen's Baton Relay.